Everyone goes through tough times at some point in life - a death in the family, prolonged illness, divorce, unemployment. Even less traumatic events, such as a move or other significant life transitions can trigger the need for someone to come alongside and walk with you through the difficulty. A Stephen Minister is trained to do just that - to walk with someone going through a difficult time. UPC has Stephen Ministers who are trained to provide effective Christian care to others, along with Stephen Leader Mike Osborne.
Stephen Ministry provides:
- One-on-one (man-to-man or woman-to-woman) care for individuals in need, for as long as needed. Caregivers and care receivers normally meet once a week for about an hour.
- Confidential, wholistic care. Stephen Ministry is not meant to take the place of Christian professional care such as counseling or pastoral care.
- A Stephen Minister may recommend other church or community resources that would be of assistance during the period of need.
- Supervision and continuing education so caregivers are well-equipped and supported and able to provide the best care for their care receivers.
Members of UPC who are in crisis or experiencing other difficulties (such as those listed below), are encouraged to contact Stephen Leader Mike Osborne. If you are experiencing any of the following, you may benefit from the ministry of a Stephen Minister:
- Elderly and lonely
- Terminally ill and their families
- In Job Crisis
- Disabled and their families
- Separated or Divorced
- Experiencing the birth/adoption of a child
- Experiencing a new season in your life: marriage, college, first-time parents, empty nesters, or retirement
Over the years, well over one-and-a-half million people have benefitted from the one-to-one, confidential, Christ-centered care of a Stephen Minister. Click here to view a story.
The UPC Counseling Ministry exists to shine the light of the gospel into all the places of our lives. UPC offers a counseling ministry because we believe that the gospel is a vibrant, healing force that can and should be applied to our life, relationships, thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
Click here to visit our website!
Many people in various stages of life have found counseling helpful. Counseling services are available for adults, adolescents and children. The need for counseling is dependent upon the issues involved. For some, a short stint in counseling helps provide perspective on a difficult topic. For others, more time is needed to help facilitate healing in the places that have hurt us for so long.
The topics which can be addressed in counseling include but are not limited to:
- Discovering our Strengths
- Fear and Anxiety
- Work/Life Stress
- And Many More
The UPC Counseling ministry exists as a resource for counseling and about counseling. This means that you are encouraged to contact Redeemer Counseling regarding:
- Scheduling counseling for yourself
- Resources for specific counseling needs
- Questions regarding the counseling process
- Book resources
Our office is located at University Presbyterian Church in Orlando on Rouse Road between Colonial Drive and University Boulevard. The church is about 10 minutes from state roads 408 and 417. Clients may park in the front entrance of the Education Building in the small rectangular lot marked "Staff Parking Only." The waiting room is directly inside this entrance.
In order to setup an appointment or inquire about counseling, please call us at 407.405.7677.